Sunday, August 14, 2005

Bath Water

That's exactly what the ocean feels like. The water is so warm that it is almost not refreshing. Almost....

It really is refreshing, of course.

I waited until late in the afternoon today to take my walk on the beach. After a half hour I jumped into the waves and found a chest-deep hole to swim and relax in.

Curiously, after about ten minutes my foot stumbled on a patch of cool sand on the ocean floor. I dove under and felt around with my hands, but found nothing unusual. I wondered -- could it be seepage from the underground aquifer that supplies the village with our drinking water? I've heard that the Castle Hane Aquifer empties into the Atlantic somewhere near the campground, but I really don't know. Maybe one of our readers has more information.

Regardless, my afternoon swim was so wonderful I hardly wanted to get out of the water.

[Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Old Toothbrush Man, published August 01, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news080105.htm.]

.

No comments:

Post a Comment