Friday, May 12, 2006

A Day Off

I took yesterday off (the reason for no post yesterday). Visitors sometimes wonder what we islanders do on our days off.

Although I take time away from Village Craftsmen on a regular basis, I'm normally nearby and I usually take time to at least publish a post. Yesterday I took a full day off. Well, in the morning I did take care of several domestic chores (cleaning, vacuuming, & laundry) that needed attention. By mid-morning I was scheduled to babysit for a couple of hours. When noontime came I was ready to pick up my latest book, American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips. I stretched out in my hammock on the back porch and hadn't read more than ten pages before I fell asleep.

Of course, I was more than ready for lunch when I awoke. Then it was off to the beach for a long stroll along the surf (I even found a small right-handed conch -- see our May 4 post). Back home again, it was time to read a bit more and then get some things ready for dinner.

David came by about 5:15 with Lachlan. I got on my bike and rode with them over to the Castle B & B swimming pool for Lachlan's first swim lesson. He loved it, and learned to blow bubbles. He even enjoyed it when David dunked his head under the water.

By the time I arrived back home, it was time to put all of the ingredients together and put dinner in the oven. It was nearly 8 o'clock by the time we were ready to sit down to dinner. Karen Lovejoy and her daughter, Molly, were there to share with me. Unfortunately her husband, Dave, and other daughter, Emma, were off-island and didn't make it home in time for dinner.

By 10:30 my company had gone home and I was ready for bed.

Not all that exciting a day, I suppose, but definitely a relaxing Thursday....and a glimpse into island life.

You can read our latest newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news041506.htm. It's the story of Old Kade.
.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:45 PM

    Your day off sounded wonderful. We all need those! I'm glad my daughter directed me to your web site. I am looking forward to keeping up with the island happenings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete