Monday, November 02, 2009

Guest Blogger

This is Bill; Philip asked me to write a few entries this month on his blog. I think he's busy. Probably writing a new book or something.

My wife and I moved to Ocracoke a mere 2 years ago this month, so I haven't got stories going back to before there were trees here like Philip does, but maybe he wanted a bit of "fresh eyes" reporting on the island.

For instance, it took me 2 years to figure out Halloween. Nobody wanders back into Widgeon Woods to "trick-or-treat" (except Lachlan; Thanks, friend!). So last year we had to eat all the candy ourselves. This year, I poured it into a bag, put it in my bicycle basket, and went out to Lighthouse Road where I had no trouble dispensing it all. Not only did I get rid of the candy, I got to see some awesome costumes (Batmen, princesses, pirates and one mighty Mad Hatter)!
I'll keep my eyes open for some more things to write about.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a transcript of a letter written in 1949 by a visitor to the island. You can read the letter (which provides a glimpse into Ocracoke life sixty years ago) here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102509.htm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:14 PM

    What drew you to OI two years ago? And what is your take on the affordable housing issue on OI? your candor is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete