Tuesday, November 03, 2009

What Drew Us to Ocracoke?

This is Bill again guest-blogging for Philip.

A reader asked what drew us to Ocracoke two years ago and what's my take on "affordable housing on the island".

My wife, Lida, and I came here first in 2000 to attend a Storytelling Workshop led by Donald Davis. Donald and I first knew each other at Davidson College in the 60's. He has become a widely known and respected storyteller. We jumped at the opportunity to spend a week learning from him in a place that was brand new to us.

Ocracoke isn't for everybody. It is remote. (I'm told there are more bears than people in our county, though they stick mostly to the mainland!) It's small. (About 700 to 800 year-round residents.) But there is a strong sense of community. Lida and I both were immediately attracted to that and to the beauty and to the new friends we were making. We love the music and the storytelling and the seafood. We love the beach and the fact that Ocracoke isn't really a "beach resort"; no one lives on the beach.

We do not think of ourselves as risk-takers, but I am retired, our children have settled far from our home in Memphis, so after several years working with a real estate agent, we are happy transplants.

Since we've bought our house, I haven't kept up with the market and I don't know much about current prices; but I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a transcript of a letter written in 1949 by a visitor to the island. You can read the letter (which provides a glimpse into Ocracoke life sixty years ago) here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.c

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Thank you for responding to the question regarding affordable housing. Personally I think affordable housing really hasn't existed of late if there are so many foreclosures, especially if these loans were granted without the affordability angle factored into the scheme. Funny i used the word scheme. Now On to Davidson College. I wanted my daughter to attend Davidson but i guess Davidson didn't think she would be a good fit. It seems Davidson wants a kid that has overcome insurmountable odds or was dealt a bad health card. Do do donate to your alma mater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill,
    So Philip is up to writing a new book, that would be great. How fun for you to write the blog! Wish we could have visited more at the Festival. Come to Indiana, but bring your flannels!! Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete