Friday, November 27, 2009

Wind & National Day of Listening & Concert

I was startled awake sometime after midnight when I heard footsteps. It sounded as if they were coming up my stairs. I turned on the light and looked down the stairway. No one was there. Suddenly I heard the sound behind me. It was outside, on my porch. Then I realized it was a sign banging against the outside wall (you can read about the sign here: http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2009/06/beware.html).

I went downstairs and opened the front door. The trees were dancing wildly, my porch chairs were rocking back and forth, and the swing was banging up against the railing. By then the sign had clattered to the floor. The winds must have been at least 30 mph, maybe 35 mph (maybe Dale will post a comment with more accurate information). Right now the wind velocity is just above 20 mph, but the forecast calls for increased winds until midnight tonight. There is also a chance of moderate coastal flooding until early Saturday morning.

Amy, David, Lachlan, & I shared a traditional feast with friends yesterday afternoon. Everything, from the appetizers (cheeses, dips, deviled eggs, & grapes) to the desserts (pumpkin pie, apple cake, & pumpkin cheese cake), including the bird, the veggies, and stimulating conversation, was superb. I even brought a plate home for my dinner tonight.

Today, of course, is the day after Thanksgiving, and this day has been designated the National Day of Listening. Please consider taking an hour today (or over the weekend) to record a conversation with someone important in your life. You might be surprised by the stories you'll hear...and you will preserve a little bit of your own history. Click here for more information: http://www.nationaldayoflistening.org/

Tonight is also the annual Fall Fund Raiser for the OcraFolk Festival. If you are on the island, be sure to come to the Community Center for an evening of music & stories. The show starts at 7:30. Hope to see you there.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a transcript of a letter written in 1949 by a visitor to the island. You can read the letter (which provides a glimpse into Ocracoke life sixty years ago) here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102509.htm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:34 AM

    The wind gusted to 56mph at Ocracoke last night as a cold front moved through and the wind shifted to the NW. The wind should continue during most of the day up to the 40mph range. There was some soundside flooding on Hatteras Island during this mornings high tide.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete