Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Let's Chat

As many of our readers know, I have owned the Village Craftsmen on Howard Street since 1970. For three and a half decades I could almost always be found at the counter, in my office, or somewhere nearby. For the last few years I have left the running of the business in the very capable hands of my long-time employee, Jude Brown. Many of you have talked with her or communicated with her in the shop, while placing mail orders, or reserving space for a Ghost & History Walk.

Frankly, although my "semi-retirement" has allowed me to pursue many other interests, including drawing, writing, and collecting island history, I have missed daily interactions with customers and island visitors.

This season I have begun a new project that I call "Let's Chat." Most weekdays starting today, and through the fall, I will be spending the hour from 1 pm to 2 pm on the porch of the Village Craftsmen for an informal hour of sharing island history, stories, and glimpses into daily island life. If you have ever had any questions or curiosity about Ocracoke and life on the island, please stop by and "let's chat." Stay 5 minutes, or the whole hour. Come back every day if you want. There is no charge, of course. I would like to meet you on the pizer!

Let's Chat!














Check the sign on the porch to make sure I will be there.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Rondthalers of Ocracoke Island. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032112.htm.

14 comments:

  1. Great idea...nice sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. debbie s.9:17 AM

    What a fantastic idea! Will definitely be stopping by! just got back from up beach and will be on Ocracoke in 59 'nite-nites' (my son counts nite nites, not days! lololol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea! Your grandson needs to have his shell stand close by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack and Toni Walls12:45 PM

    How wonderful. We'll meet you on the pizer in September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie1:16 PM

    Count me in! Meet you on the pizer in May!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Be on the island in May. Will be stopping by to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous Maria Cortez Gonzalez de Aguilar5:27 PM

    Approval once again achieved in providing stimulation of interest in topic of discussion of island life on land of Ocracoke. While difficulty has been noted regarding furtherance of speech and grammitcal study one would assume. Having thusly enjoyed terminage of learning from Mr. Howard regarding history of island charming thusly. Furthermore excitement in anticipation of upcoming events has been stimulated in the ideal of chatting with author of blog on the topics of interest in a front of house architectual featuring shade enhancement. Upcoming travel of tourism nature shall be approved by all for "Lets Chat" with sir noted. Much thankfulness of sincere nature regarding writing of articulation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:32 PM

    What a cool idea. Always entertaining, Philip. No plans--yet--to be on the island soon, but will DEFINITELY look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:42 PM

    While I suspect it was unintentional, the use of a closing double quotation mark at the opening of the statement "Let's Chat" is nonetheless charming and adds a touch of character to an already awesome sign.

    One more reason to like Ocracoke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon 9:42 -- When I received the sign I noticed the incorrect opening quotation mark, but the sign is so wonderful that I never mentioned it to anyone. Charming is an appropriate adjective to describe the sign. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Super! You'll probably not have enough space for all the folks who will stop by, Philip!

    I still remember the day I saw you on the porch of the Community Store enjoying a nice Indian Summer fall afternoon rocking away your cares. You graciously invited me to "sit a spell" and we chatted for a while. You introduced me to a couple of the locals, too. Such a wonderful memory from my visit in October, 2009. NC Mainlander looks forward to "chatting again".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more, this sounds like a great idea. Hoping to be on the island for the music festival in June. You can count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:37 AM

    Hmm what actually does pm mean, stand for is it post meridian as I suspect but what does that mean really post meridian what on Earth is a meridian. Is it real or imaginary???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meridian, (among other things in geography, astronomy and math e.g.), just means noon. So pm (post meridian) is afternoon, and am (ante meridian) is before noon, or morning.

    ReplyDelete