Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Saturday in January

The daily pace of island life in winter is a gift to be savored. Especially in January and February, life flows, rather than moves. Yesterday I spent a few morning hours at my desk, organizing and catching up on details. After a light lunch I donned my dark blue trousers & black shoes, slipped on a sweater, and walked to the church for another funeral. Native islander, Maude Thomas Garrish, died on Wednesday at age 91. The nave was nearly full of friends and relatives as two of her nephews shared highlights of her life. We grieve as a community when one of our own passes on.

Yesterday afternoon I watched Lachlan for a couple of hours as his mama attended a quilting workshop. Amy and the other regular quilters were teaching newcomers how to make a traditional Ocracoke Island "cracker quilt" pillow cover.

A late afternoon nap, a dinner of pasta and vegetables, and an evening of reading by the fire completed my day.

As the song says, "My life flows on in endless song; Above earth’s lamentation, I hear the sweet though far off hymn, That hails a new creation...." (How Can I Keep from Singing, by Robert Lowry).

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter chronicles the story of commercial fishing on Ocracoke, and tells of the efforts of the Ocracoke Working Watermen's Association to save the island's last remeining fish house. Click here to read the entire newsletter....and learn how to make a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment