Saturday, November 17, 2007

Another Wonderful Link

The last two weeks of October were busy ones for me. I helped teach the "Ocracoke Sampler" for our OcraFolk School, and I participated in an NCCAT seminar on ghost tales. But I'm sure I've already mentioned these. During those same weeks a gentleman from South Carolina was on the island absorbing much about Ocracoke and our close-knit community. He was fortunate to learn about our special Opry performance (for the OcraFolk School, but open to the general public), and square dance. I met him briefly during intermission, and then again when he stopped by the Village Craftsmen before he left on his way home.

Several days ago I was alerted to his personal blog site, "Balance, Celebration and Search" where he posted reflections on nine days of his vacation on Ocracoke. His name is Steve, and he is a pastor from South Carolina. He graciously agreed for me to provide a link to his site. In addition to some remarkable photographs (including a modern-day shipwreck that I had heard about but never got to see), Steve captures many of the sentiments visitors feel, especially their captivation with Ocracoke Island and its people. His verbal images and "turns of phrase" make for delightful reading....and his blog site is crisp, clean, and inviting.

To read his posts just click on this link, Balance, and scroll to his posts for Oct 24 - Nov 1. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Our latest Newsletter is an article about Blackbeard the pirate and new research that suggests he may have been born in eastern North Carolina. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Philip. Thank you for the generous review and the link! I hope folks will find something there to enjoy. I certainly enjoyed Ocracoke and look forward to returning someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Thanks for the link, Philip. My husband and I VERY MUCH enjoyed Steve's blog. He is a very gifted
    writer. I even went searching for his age cuz' his writing was beautiful and thought he would be older. LOVED it.

    Pat.....

    ReplyDelete