Monday, December 07, 2009

The Lovely Bones

Winter finally came to Ocracoke. Early yesterday morning the temperature was just in the upper 30s (my outdoor shower was brisk!). The rest of the day was mostly sunny, but cool.

As most of our readers know, Ocracoke has no movie theater, so it's a treat to be off the island and have time to see a new release. I am not planning to be near a theater anytime soon, but if you are, consider seeing The Lovely Bones, a movie based on the novel by Alice Sebold. It is about a young girl who was murdered, and who watches over her family and her killer from heaven. I am not in the habit of plugging movies, but I mention this one because our good friend, Jim Goodwin, who makes ships in bottles for Village Craftsmen, was commissioned to construct a number of his creations for the movie. I understand that Jim's craft plays an important part in the movie.

The Lovely Bones opens in theaters Friday, December 11.

You can see some of Jim's ships in bottles, and read a synopsis of the film here.

Also, you can see more of Jim's ship models on our web site. Just click on the image below.



Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter discusses place names on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news113009.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:48 AM

    The Lovely Bones movie
    Awesome movie, Totally superb and mind-blowing. i watched this movie with my friends and trust me guys we enjoyed a lot.
    I love to watch horror and thriller movies, that's why I want to watch The Lovely Bones movie again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello

    I come to your blog by Google with the keyword "ships in bottles". I am very happy that you love ships in bottles, like me.

    Let's visit my website about ships in bottles. www.shipinbottle.net and see many interesting thing about ships in bottles.
    Good health to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never watched on amazon, eventhough i ordered it & found out it didnt work on my phone, and came across it at the store and what a coincidence! Watched it at home, cried my eyes out, women watch alone if you don't wanna cry in front of people, it will bring you to tears.

    ReplyDelete