Saturday, March 03, 2012

Lightning Whelk

Every now and then, even when we haven't had any stormy weather, a beautiful shell will wash up on the beach...and I will just happen to be the first person to walk by. That happened a few days ago. There, right at the high tide line, was this perfect, unbroken lightning whelk, a treasure from the sea, as they say.

Lightning Whelk














Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Civil War on the Outer Banks, Josephus Daniels, Jr, Secretary of the Navy during WWI, and his connection to Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022112.htm.

6 comments:

  1. Several yrs ago we had our usual family vacation scheduled in July, however my husband I decided to come down in May for 2 or 3 days by ourselves. We were out South Point walking. I turned around to go back saw this beautiful whelk washed up at the spot I had just walked past. Like yours it was perfect. Lots of color. When we got home evryone thought we had bought it. Finding that shell made it a great 3 day and a wonderful memory. I guess it doesn't take much to excite me. LOL. I still have it displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    What a beauty! Bet Lachlan loved it. Why is it called lightning whelk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why this shell is called a lightning whelk. Maybe one of our readers knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife buys shells from Lachlan's stand. Are you sure you didn't get this shell from him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:34 AM

    So Lachlan still has his stand?

    Be curious to hear a report of his business efforts.

    Where does he usually set up shop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lachlan hasn't provided me with a Profit & Loss Statement, so I can't comment on his finances. He sets up his shell stand in his side yard, adjacent to the Village Craftsmen parking area.

    ReplyDelete