Thursday, March 15, 2012

Surprise

I went to the beach yesterday afternoon around 3 o'clock, a little later than I normally go. Imagine my surprise when I walked onto the platform and noticed someone swimming in the ocean! Oh, it was warm yesterday, almost 70 I'd say, but I knew the water was still chilly.

OK, it was a child. They're nearly always the first ones in the water in the spring. However, I am proud to say that I have been swimming in the ocean here at Ocracoke every month of the year. The secret is to get out when your inner ear starts getting cold.

I also noticed about 30 people enjoying the beach, more than I've seen in many months. Several were strolling at the water's edge looking for seashells; two or three were reading; a few were lying on blankets catching a few rays; others were walking their dogs; or just standing around chatting. It was the perfect spring beach day.

But this is Ocracoke -- I walked about 100 yards to the north, and from there, as far as the eye could see, was nothing but sand, surf, sea oats, and a few seagulls. What a gorgeous day!

March 14 Photo by George Brown, added at 10 am













Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Civil War on the Outer Banks, Josephus Daniels, Jr, Secretary of the Navy during WWI, and his connection to Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022112.htm.

3 comments:

  1. debbie s.5:11 PM

    gorgeous a bit inland from you, too. We're meeting my dad and his wife out in kitty hawk for a long weekend over Easter (she has never seen the ocean! i told my dad that was spousal abuse; he said 20 years in the navy and he'd be happy to never see anything bigger than a small pond!!! lolol) and my son was asking if he could swim. Might be chilly, but if he wants to, i dont care (I prefer my swimming water to be more like bath water! LOL)

    Sounds like another great day on O'coke and hoping more and more visitors start coming in for you and filling up the shops, restaurants, and enjoying the beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr to the swimming, but the rest sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:31 PM

    oh good pixels.

    ReplyDelete