Friday, January 11, 2013


One (of many) joys of living on Ocracoke is coming back home after being off the island for a while. Our recent holiday trip to Europe was a wonderful experience, full of many new experiences and adventures, to be sure.

And coming home was equally delightful. On my first stroll along the surf I was struck with how beautiful and peaceful the winter beach is. The hard-packed sand made it easy to walk near the water, or along the high tide line strewn with shells and seaweed. Hardly a soul was to be seen, but I was not alone. Just offshore, within swimming distance had I been so inclined (brrr!), was a pod of dolphins. They were swimming back and forth (searching for food, I suppose), and then I noticed some of them surfing the waves farther off shore. As I was watching, a youngster (he or she was a much lighter gray) jumped completely out of the water and dove straight down again. Once more, and the show was over.

At risk of extreme self-centeredness, I would like to think the dolphins were welcoming me home!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the day Charles Lindbergh landed on Ocracoke. You can read it here:


  1. Anonymous7:35 AM

    Beautiful description! It's almost like I was there!

  2. I would think that they really were... Dolphins don't do tricks for just anyone...

  3. Toni W.10:46 AM

    There is so much joy in watching dolphins in the ocean. Glad they welcomed you home!!

  4. It was my cat sitting on my back porch waiting for me. P.S. I really don't own a cat, but he (the cat) doesn't know that!