Not long ago I was walking along the beach when I spied something orange caught in the sea oats on the dunes. I was pretty sure it was a balloon, so I walked up to retrieve it. Balloons can be dangerous to sea life. Turtles, birds, and fish often mistake balloons for jellyfish, and die after ingesting them.
It turned out that the balloon was a promotional item, and it was still inflated. I made a photo of it:
Of course, I have no idea when, where, or how this balloon "escaped." But it originated in central Georgia.
Ocracoke is fortunate to not have much litter wash up on our beaches. I can usually walk miles along the shore without ever seeing any trash.
It is always a good idea to keep control of balloons near the ocean or sound. Once let loose they can travel for miles. And if you see balloons on the beach or in the water, we would appreciate it if you would pick them up and discard them where they won't endanger wild life. Many thanks!
Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the unique "Ocracoke Greeting." You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022113.htm.