Sunday, March 24, 2013

George W. Wells

A number of week ago I promised that I would publish some information about the wreck of the 6-masted schooner, George W. Wells, on Ocracoke's beach in 1913. Some of our readers have seen parts of a wreck just north of the Pony Pen. Many believe these timbers are the remains of the Wells.

The George W. Wells















To read the story of this majestic ship click on this link: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072110.htm.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a video of Philip Howard telling the story of the 1861 wreck of the Black Squall. You can watch it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032113.htm.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:53 AM

    my shorthand for anything that I want to dig into is WWWW, yes that's 4 w's. WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE. You sound like me. dig dig dig until you are satisfied. Good man. Good informative video. But I must ask WHAT IS THE MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING? The WWWW of it? Please let us all know. Thanks, and again, presented nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am assuming you are asking about the introductory music on the Black Squall video. The video was produced by my neighbor John Rogers. I don't know where that music came from. I will ask him the next time I see him.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:23 PM

    yes, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:04 PM

    I have been trying all afternoon (other than a burger king break) to find online your book, Dogging Up Uncle Evans. I am having a hard time finding it. Is it out of print? Does your shop have a copy? I found a couple of beat up $7.58 books on Amazon but I'd rather have a new one. Can you help? Any suggestions or should I just settle for the Amazon copies? Thanks. JS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:06 PM

    I guess you know that I meant DIGGING. I would never find it under DOGGING...sorry JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can order Digging up Uncle Evans here:
      http://www.blacksquallbooks.com/

      It is not out of print. In fact I recently ordered more (third printing), so we have plenty.

      Delete
  5. Juanita5:34 PM

    Philip,

    When will you be publishing your next book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita, every winter I think I will finish editing my next book...and then I spend my time doing other things. Right now I am working on an 8-10 page article about Uncle Marvin. If you have any stories to share send me an email, or call me. I'd love to hear what you remember. And come to think of it, I should write down your stories about Uncle Homer, too. Now, that would be an interesting article!

      Delete