Thursday, April 04, 2013

"Illness is...

...a Western form of meditation."

So says my neighbor, Ann Ehringhaus. And I think she is correct.

I have been laid up with a major head cold for several days now. Don't want to do much more than sleep and read. I will be back at my blog soon.

I have read five books (actually I'm still reading two of them) in the last few days, though -- The Master Butcher's Singing Club, She, The Good News Club, Ocracoke Between the Storms, & An Anthropologist on Mars.

And I've learned three new words (all from An Anthropologist on Mars): hebetude, apocope, and chthonic (I had encountered this one before, but couldn't remember the definition). So, I am resting and learning. It could be worse.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a video of Philip Howard telling the story of the 1861 wreck of the Black Squall. You can watch it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032113.htm.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peg Chapman9:43 AM

    Hope you recover quickly! I just finished the Master Butcher's Singing Club also. I love Louise Erdrich's books. Take care and see you later this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Rest and get well soon, but I miss you when you miss a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:41 AM

    What do they call it when people in the East get a cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Ocracoke you're "doasted right!" I know I was. See http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2005/02/im-doasted-right.html for more information.

      Delete
  5. Vickie Pavlik1:25 PM

    Eat some chicken noodle soup and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bear MacDonald6:46 PM

    I became a bit concerned when yesterday's post was missed and today's didn't appear in the Early AM. Speaking of meditation:When we talk to God,it is called pyayer. When quiet ourselves to listen to God, it is called meditation. When God talks to us, it is called schizophrenia. What's up with that?????

    Rest well and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bear MacDonald6:51 PM

    I became a bit concerned when yesterday's post was missed and today's was not posted in the usual timeframe.
    Speaking of meditation:
    When we speak to God, it is called prayer. When we quiet ourselves to listen to God, it is called meditation. When God speaks to us, it is called schizophrenia.
    What's up with that????

    Rest well and get well.
    TT^FN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie Leonard6:28 AM

    Sorry you are feeling poorly. Take care and I hope you are soon well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wife is in a similar state... I hope today (Friday) you're feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:24 PM

    One of those books might be enough to cause a relapse! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for all of your good wishes. I am now recovering quickly (thanks to a visit to the Ocracoke clinic and antibiotics).

    ReplyDelete