Saturday, March 01, 2014

Scotch Bonnet

While walking along the surf a couple of days ago I stumbled upon two small, gray, but complete scotch bonnets. It's always fun to find whole shells, especially the scotch bonnet, North Carolina's official state seashell.

Scotch Bonnet

Can you find the bonnet?
































Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter documents the day telephones came to the island. The article includes images of Ocracoke's first telephone directory which lists a total of 63 subscribers. You can read the Newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022114.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 AM

    You are so right about being hard to find whole, perfect Scotch Bonnets. However, when NC Mainlander has discovered such a treasure, it is an exciting and happy feeling!!!

    Oh, spotted the Scotch Bonnet in your photo...pure delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillip...I will be in OBX in April and was just wondering where a good place to go Shelling is on Ocracoke. Probably anywhere but a wee hint would be nice..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 PM

    Ooo...shelling tips. Good question. I'll await Philip's two cents before tossing in my own. And perhaps look forward to opinions from others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely go to the beach simply to look for shells -- unless it's just after a storm. I walk on the beach for exercise and enjoyment. If I find I shell it is a bonus. Mostly I walk at the Lifeguard beach. That's where I found the two Scotch Bonnets. Of course, this is the off season. It's harder to find shells once the crowds appear. How's that for not sharing any secrets?

    ReplyDelete