Friday, September 05, 2008

Hanna

I spent all day yesterday trimming limbs from the trees around my house and Village Craftsmen. The day was beautiful, and I wanted to work while I still could. Tropical Storm Hanna is on the way. Forecasters are calling for rain and perhaps thunderstorms today (already this morning the sky is gray, with a 5-10 mph breeze). And Ike may be heading our way also.

By days end yesterday I had three large piles of branches in the yard. It was after 7 o'clock by the time I put away the clippers, chain saw, ladder, and other tools. This morning I'll put my lawn mower up on the porch, batten down the tree house, and move my car to a small hill, but then I can relax and wait.

We are expecting the brunt of Tropical Storm Hanna late tonight and tomorrow with gusts around 60-65 mph. The National Park Service campground has already been evacuated, but I haven't heard of any other evacuation notices. Most islanders are sanguine, having endured other storms more powerful than Hanna is expected to be.

We'll keep you posted.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:03 AM

    Phillip,
    What is your criteria to leave the island in a storm?

    ReplyDelete