Friday, September 19, 2008

Pirates

Last night Frank Brown commented to me, "Isn't 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' coming up soon?"

"It's sometime in September," I said.

Sure enough, it was yesterday. But, according to the official "Talk Like a Pirate Day" web site, "September 19th falls on a Friday this year, so some folks are partyin' all Talk Like A Pirate weekend."

So this is your opportunity. Don your tri-cornered hat, grab your cutlass & grog, and hoist the skull and crossbones above your deck. Aye matey, then ye kin impress yer shipmates and catch the attention of nearby land lubbers this weekend by hollering over the taffrail, "Avast ye slimy bilge rats, lay down yer arms, man the boat hooks, and come aboard! There's plenty of rum for everyone."

Here's the official "Talk Like a Pirate Day" web address:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. I wish Ontario celebrated talk like a pirate day. I was wondering what shipwreck is on the beach on Ocracoke

    PS I love Ocracoke and I wish I lived there!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janessa -- just start "talking like a pirate" and Ontario will be celebrating the day!

    There are lots of shipwrecks (or at least parts of them, mostly buried under the sand, or just offshore) on Ocracoke. Almost 2000 ships have wrecked along the Outer Banks over the last 400 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Philip!!
    My family and I were on Ocracoke in July, but didn't get to visit your store because it was closed, but we had an awesome time!!!

    I learned about Ocracoke by reading Audrey Penn's Blackbeard series which you illustrated very nicely!! I persuaded my mom to take us all on a vacation, and we did!! We plan to return next year, minus the long trip from Canada!

    ReplyDelete