Monday, September 29, 2008

Sailing

Yesterday I joined Captain Rob, his mate (and son) Emmet, a few other friends, and a couple of visitors for an evening cruise on the schooner Windfall. With all sails set we caught the late afternoon breeze and enjoyed a delightful hour and a half on Pamlico Sound. One lone kayaker stopped his paddling for a couple of minutes to watch us sail by. An inbound ferry, loaded with cars, passed as cameras flashed. The Windfall's red sails make for dramatic photos.

On the horizon the fiery sun sank low as we discussed the green flash, a rare sunset sight, even over Pamlico Sound. The distant horizon was a bit too hazy for the flash, but Portsmouth Island, as usual, was clearly visible.

About 7 pm we glided up to the dock, then walked to the Jolly Roger to eat a light supper and listen to Gary, David, Marcy, & Lou entertain us with their music.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. If I lived there I would have a camera with me at all times to catch such beauty. I do scrapbooking and I have alot of pictures of the sunsets of Ocracoke. I can't wait to take more, just 10 more days before our arrival. Can't tell I still get excited, can you? Been coming for about 15 years and I still get excited. I pray that it never goes dull. Still hoping to move there in the future. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:51 PM

    The green flash! I read about that probably 30 years ago in a Reader's Digest article and have keept an eye open for it ever since, on the occasions I've enjoyed sunrise/sunsets over an ocean horizon, but I've still never seen it. Would you pleasre share more details in an upcoming post? Have you seen it yourself? Is it a frequent occurrence? What about preferable conditions for it to occur? Appreciate your insights as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:55 PM

    Tell Emmet when you see him next that Emma from Missouri says Ahoy! (and Caroline, Mariah, Rob & Sundae too ;o)

    I miss the island sooooo much. Thanks for bringing a little bit of it to us every day or so.

    ReplyDelete