Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Teenagers, Knives, & High Tide

There seems to have been some misunderstanding about what exactly happened last week re. my blog about Teenagers and Knives. Readers might want to re-read the post, and the comments (including a clarification by me). You can use this link to go directly to it:
Teenagers & Knives

In other news, Tropical Storm Hanna was causing large waves and high tides on Ocracoke Island yesterday. Water had been washing up over the berm and lapping at the base of the dunes. Seaweed and shell fragments were deposited at the high tide line, and shallow tidal pools had formed on the normally dry beach. As I walked from the lifeguard beach towards the campground I looked for seashells & starfish, but there were few intact specimens to be found.

Otherwise, we have had no effect from Hanna. Sunlight and shadows dapple white picket fences in the village, and folks are going about their business, enjoying the first hints of impending autumn. We might get some rain later in the week, but for now life is sunny and bright.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:26 AM

    I don't know how I feel about this seaweed and shell fragments. In my community we don't have sea debris barging in unannounced at all hours of the day. In my community we clean up the seaweed that gets dropped out of ocean delivery trucks, and that's that. I don't want my wife stepping on seaweed and breaking her neck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:41 PM

    I remember you telling us about this story on the night of the ghost walk. I think that it would be great if we could all trust eachother like that in my community, but everyone is really strict. Thank you for making my vacation more fun!!:-)

    ReplyDelete