Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Waterspout

The power was off again yesterday afternoon. No one I spoke with knew why. Tropical Storm Hanna had passed us by, but we were still having problems with electricity. Last night a friend told me that a waterspout had touched down on Hatteras Island and knocked out power lines (our electricity comes to Ocracoke via a cable under Hatteras Inlet).

Over the last several days I have heard reports of several waterspouts. I don't have any photos of the Ocracoke twisters, but I did find the following on-line:
  • This is a video of a recent waterspout on Hatteras (maybe the one that took out the power line???) -- you can watch it here.
  • These are several photos of a Hatteras Island waterspout from several years ago. Though dated, the images are very good -- you can see them here.
Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! So is a spout the same as a tornado in the water? That is the first time I have seen anything like that. Amazing. People did not seen to alarmed about it. What happens if you get caught in one? Thanks for shaing. 4 more weeks and I'll be there. But who is counting. :)

    ReplyDelete