Monday, September 01, 2008

Weather

It is that time of year for coastal residents -- watching the weather for news of storms and hurricanes. As Gustav comes ashore in Louisiana (and islanders continue to be concerned for residents of Gulf Coast communities) distant tropical storm Hannah (though very unlikely to be a threat to North Carolina), along with other factors, is causing conditions on our beach that favor rip currents. Public awareness of the nature and causes of rip currents has kept swimmers much safer this summer. More information about rip currents is available from the Eena Project.

Otherwise, Ocracoke is enjoying a sunny morning accompanied by a mild breeze. With temperatures in the 70s, there is even a tiny touch of fall in the air. Many of the Labor Day Weekend visitors will be leaving today, but I've heard that motels and cottages are still full. We'll see what the rest of the week is like.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:30 PM

    I don`t know if this is the right place to post this or not, but here it goes. I have been coming down to Ocracoke for about 5-6 years now. I have 4 daughters and sometimes we camp at NPS campground, Sometimes we stay at Blackbeard`s, Pony Island, Silver Lake and the Cove. All great places, but it is just great to be on the island. My relaxation starts when I get on Hwy 12 in Nags Head because I know where I`m going to end up! We stayed at NPS this weekend before kids started school. I got there Thursady afternoon, set up camp and went to a local restaurant for dinner. (I will not name names). Anyway this probably a sign of the times, sad as it may be, that things have changed at Ocracoke. After dinner, when I went to pay for my meal, I received my change which I quickly looked over and left a tip. (the change was brought back in the small black folder that will hold your bill, money, credit card, etc. and if needed, the waiter/ waitress will usually bring back your change in it) But I noticed it was 20 dollars short. All the bills and change were laid out nicely inside the folder, I counted out my tip (which I had already calculated in my head how much to leave), but I noticed it was short. I asked the waiter and before the owner/ main cook or whoever it was behind the counter (this particular rest. is small inside with a small bar/ ordering area when you walk in) could get involved,the waiter quickly took the folder from from me and pulled out a 20 dollar bill folded up under the inside flap of the folder and said "Oh here it is, that just happens sometimes." It seemed strange to me but I got my correct change and left. The more I thought about it the more upset I got. I didn`t go back and complain but I decided to post where I thought folks from the island would read. It Is sad, things are changing everywhere. You have to always watch your back, lock your bike/ car/ hotel room/ cottage, etc. no matter where you are. I love Ocracoke and unless some drug cartel moves in and the streets aren`t safe I will continue to return and support the local businesses and lodging places. Please put the word out. BE AWARE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest calling or mailing your complaint to the owner of the restaurant - they might appreciate knowing it before it is public eye. As the editor of the local paper, I have learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Thanks for the idea. I`m actually visiting again this weekend and I will probably stop by & talk/ explain the situation to someone there

    ReplyDelete