Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wind

Strong northeast winds (right now between 30 & 35 mph) are buffeting Ocracoke Island. According to weather forecasters a high pressure area over New England and a developing low off the Carolinas are combining to produce these conditions. Outside my window the trees are swaying continuously. I rode out to the beach, but the tide is not up on the ocean side because of the wind direction. We might get some sound side flooding this afternoon at high tide. By then the winds are expected to increase to 50 - 60 mph. Most islanders are expecting that the ferries will quit running sometime today, but I have not yet heard that.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the wreck of the Victoria S, and Ocracoke's first automobile accident. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy wind storms, specially when I am alone at home. When wind storm is going to start, I immediately shut down all of the windows of my home and after that I make tea and sit beside the close window and enjoy myself.

    Online Marketing Solution

    james white

    ReplyDelete