Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hurricane Watch

A Hurricane Watch has been issued for the East Coast of the United States from north of Surf City North Carolina to the North Carolina/Virginia border...including the Pamlico and Albemarle
sounds. This, of course, includes Ocracoke.

A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible in the watch area within the next 36 hours.

I'd say the general mood on Ocracoke is to be watchful and to make preparations (cutting limbs form overhanging trees, stocking up on supplies [beer seems to be a popular supply], taking boats out of the water, moving outdoor items that might blow around, etc.), but most folks are anticipating being able to ride out the storm OK.

I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:28 PM

    I am bringing beer when come if I can get on the ferry Saturday to check on my house and property. Also wet vac and generator. I hope and pray all I use is the beer! Take care and be safe and I hope to see you on the island Saturday and at church on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:52 PM

    WSOC TV Charlotte is reporting Ocracoke will begin mandatory evacuation as early as 5:00 A.M. tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As of this moment (7 pm Tuesday) I have not heard of an evacuation. The last word I received said, "Presently, [Emergency Management representatives] anticipate a mandatory evacuation for Ocracoke Island on Wednesday, September 1 beginning at 5 AM for all residents and visitors."

    It may well happen, but it hasn't happened yet...as far as I know. I will post any developments as I hear of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy8:13 PM

    Thinking of and praying for you folks down there, Philip. Hope everybody rides out the storm in good health and with minimal property damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Was hoping to be on the Ferry Saturday (we have 3PM reservations). Hope to see you soon , just waterlogged and none the worse for wear. If you need anything brought, just leave a note here and I can call your shop tomorrow. JB (regular visitor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy8:39 PM

    Jude, Frank and Philip, You all are in my prayers that Earl does not make a stop on Ocracoke. I know you all are fully aware of how these storms affect your area, but for those of us who know and love Ocracoke, it's not so easy to sit by, wait and pray.
    Marcy Desulis
    Richmond, Va.

    ReplyDelete