Monday, August 23, 2010

Topless Doughnut Store

Back in the 90s I signed up to participate in a two week Witness for Peace delegation to Nicaragua and Guatemala. I would be flying out of Miami. Al & Linda were interested in making a road trip to Florida...so we all traveled together in my van. Al & Linda visited the Everglades and other parts of Florida while I was in Central America.

When I returned I had many stories about US involvement in Nicaragua and Guatemala, as well as about the people and cultures there. And I also mentioned how much I missed being able to get a good doughnut.

Al had noticed a topless doughnut store not far from our hotel, and he offered to take me there (Linda didn't go...it wasn't the doughnuts that were topless). I ordered two glazed doughnuts, but could only eat one. My stomach was still adjusting to being back in the US. So I asked for a bag so I could take the other doughnut with me.

The girl at the counter said I was the only person she ever waited on who asked for a doughnut "to go!"

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter, Looking for the Wahabs of Ocracoke, was written by Dr. James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute. You can read the article here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082110.htm.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Thanks, Philip, for the explaination about the topless doughnut shop. Now, I'm back to being speechless! :)

    You and your real-life stories!

    Thanks for the interesting blogs and unpredicatable topics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:39 AM

    "A Good Doughnut" what is a good doughnut?? A yeast raised product, a cake based treat or one filled, glazed only , a fritter-- a cruller -- is it a good donut you missed or a great cup of coffee?. Would a topless waitress be a girl ? a girl? not a waitress, an attendant, a clerk a breathtaking example of femininity?? Are there not child labor laws -- where is that girl's mother -- was she a runaway with a tattoo? Oh wait, tattoos were not that popular for women back before the turn of the century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...she wasn't a "girl." Actually I try to avoid using the word "girl" when referring to mature women...and this woman was definitely "mature." But "woman" sounded middle aged (which she definitely was not), and "waitress," "attendant," and "clerk" just wouldn't have conveyed the image I was seeking! Perhaps sometimes you just have to abandon political correctness. My apologies to all of the topless women out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the words of the great philosopher Homer Simpson

    mmmmmm.....donuts!

    love the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two more things -- in my book any doughnut is a "good doughnut," especially cinnamon twists! And it wasn't coffee I was craving. I don't drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never met a doughnut I didn't love, nor a topless woman I wouldn't at least look at twice. At least!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Every topless woman deserves at least two looks -- one to the left, one to the right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Philip--Appreciate your blog and especially your willingness to entertain any and all feedback with good nature. You are an Ocracoke treasure. Separately, I just enjoyed my first daylight view of the Silver Harbor Webcam. What a beautiful view, even on a gray, rainy day. It looks like a classical portrait. Thanks to you and your readers for providing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When they come in twos...it's hard to choose ;~)
    So which do you prefer?
    Me, KrispyKreme :)

    ReplyDelete