Friday, March 25, 2011

William Ellis Howard & Fannie Wahab Howard

William Ellis & Fannie Howard lived where Dajio's restaurant is today. William's father, Enoch Ellis Howard, was the island lighthouse keeper. William died in 1933. Fannie died seven years later. During that interval she kept her casket in the parlor, propped up on two straight-backed chairs. Join us for our "Around Creek" Ghost & History Walking Tour during the summer months to hear the entire story.



Click on the photo to view a larger image.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a list of traditional island remedies. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032111.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:18 AM

    Mrs. Fannie Howard sounded like a very no-nonsense, practical lady who planned ahead!!!!

    Enjoying all the vintage photos, Philip, and the stories you include with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:22 PM

    I am thrilled to report I stumbled across a poster by artist Terry Moore's water way collection a poster of the Outer banks --I do not know if it is drawn to scale; but I was surprised to see the distance between Swan Quarter and Ocracoke island. Can you give the gentle reader of your blog, a sense of distance between these two spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about 25 miles from Ocracoke to Swan Quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie7:02 PM

    Speaking of Dajio...what I wouldn't give for some of their crab dip! They have incredible food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:28 AM

    I think it s amazing that Fannie is interred in our garden. I m very impressed by this. Also there is an Isabelle Garrish buried here.
    I always find it erie that I m called Isabelle and my daughter is Fannie.

    Coincidence.

    ReplyDelete