Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Devil's Pocketbook

Walking along the beach lately I've noticed more than the usual number of "Devil's Pocketbooks." These black, tough pouches (about 2" long) with "horns" at each corner are actually skate egg cases. I don't know why they are more common at some times than others. I suppose it has to do with the skates' life cycle and gestation period.

You can read more about these sinister looking objects here: http://www.mitchellspublications.com/guides/shells/articles/0074/

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a list of traditional island remedies. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032111.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:51 PM

    I have one that I keep in my car to remind me of what Ocracoke has become to me...I've gotten some interesting comments when I show it to people. While I can't make it to Ocracoke this year in May, my hope is to come later in the year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 AM

    It looks like the Naugahyde creature maybe the Madison avenue type that dreamed up the ad campaign summered/springed on OI google Naugahyde and see for yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita Baker10:27 AM

    Thank you for sharing. I see those all of the time while searching for shells. I never knew what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks...and for the link, too...happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:21 PM

    For some reason it reminds me of a small bat....never knew what these were....thanks for "educating" your bloggers, Philip.

    Just wondered....what does the devil carry in a pocketbook?????? :)

    ReplyDelete