Friday, June 27, 2014

Consolidated Schoolhouse

In about 1900 James and Zilphia Howard sold a one acre tract of land to the trustees of "Ocracoke Lodge No. 194 Independent order of Odd Fellows" for use as a "Lodge room or such other purpose as they may deem proper." A two story wood frame building was built in 1901. It housed the Oddfellow's Lodge on the second floor. Soon after its construction two island schools (one located near the British Cemetery & the other in the vicinity of Albert Styron's Store) were consolidated and public school was held on the first floor. In Feb of 1911 B.G. O'Neal was paid $3.74 for taking a census of children on Ocracoke. 187 children of "white race" were recorded [we can be thankful that the state of North Carolina no longer officially sanctions racially segregated schools]. Today the former Lodge serves as the center section of "The Island Inn."

Odd Fellows Lodge & Schoolhouse, ca. 1900

This building served as the school until 1917, when a new schoolhouse was erected where the current school is located. Look for information about the 1917 schoolhouse soon.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke's Agnes Scott, direct descendant of Agnes Scott for whom the women's college in Decatur, Georgia is named. You can read the Newsletter here:

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:22 PM

    wow. where are the maps the teacher pulled down in front of the Chalk board or the slide projector or the CHALK!! LOL