Sunday, October 10, 2004

Back Home

I returned home a couple of days ago to the most gorgeous weather imaginable. Sunny days in the low 70's & cool nights. Not many folks visiting right now. But we islanders are enjoying every minute of it.

Yesterday was the big celebration for Audrey Penn's latest novel, "Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove," an adventure novel for youth that is set on the island. The get-together drew crowds all day long for the book signing and party afterwards. Look for the book on your next visit to Ocracoke. I'm proud to say that my pen & ink drawings were used at each chapter heading.

As beautiful as the island is this time of year, it's always a pleasure to travel a bit, especially in the mountains in October. Lou Ann and I enjoyed visiting my three grandchildren in western NC, listened to master tellers at the Storytelling Festival in east Tennessee, hiked to the top of Mt. LeConte (6,593' tall) near Gatlinburg, and soaked in the sights and smells of Fall. It was wonderful.

Now that I'm back home, I think I'll take a walk on the beach and re-acquaint myself with the blue-green Atlantic Ocean. Should be perfect for swimming. This afternoon there's an "October Birthdays" potluck at Rob & Sundae's. I'll be back for that.

I hope you're having great weather where you are!






No comments:

Post a Comment