Thursday, December 15, 2011

Early Morning Call

We awake mornings to the sound of ducks calling us from our sleep.  Most mornings about twenty Mallards "call" to me around 6:30AM - my "alarm clock". We live on the "Old Slough", it's right outside our door. The ducks are looking for breakfast and I accommodate them with handfuls of cracked corn.  They quack their appreciation and swim off to do whatever ducks do  in a day.  It's a good way to wake up.  The air is fresh and smells of the sea. The dew falls softly from the trees. Shafts of early morning sunlight illuminates the sand and warms it where my cats are bathing.  A steaming cup of coffee, the smell of bacon cooking, life is good on a December day on this island.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 AM

    HEY WAIT A MINUTE...CATS BATHING--STEAMING COFFEE. Philip doesn't have either of those. Good morning Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh! I have been found out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone...That's right - Jude , not I, wrote today's blog, and made that last comment ("Ahhhhhh! I have been found out!").

    Thanks, Jude, for filling in for me so I have a break once in a while. Bill and Amy have been helping out this month also. Thanks to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:28 PM

    Feeding wild animals I am guilty of that- an overlooked over ripe orange gets tossed in the back yard, stale toritilla rounds , bacon grease, is this wrong am I contibuting to a "fast food" habit ? these birds should eat bugs -the squirrels should eat flora and racoons or posumms may like a bit of bacon grease every now and them in the winter-- at least my back yard deposits dissapear unike the canine contributions to air pollution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:01 PM

    Doesn't take a Columbo-- See how much attention I pay to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Sounds nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:21 AM

    While the picture you paint is nice, a photo...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcy2:34 PM

    Jude, this post is beautifully written and I can picture all you said. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcy D.2:35 PM

    Jude, this post is beautifully written and I can picture all you said. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:05 PM

    I agree with Marcy--great job Jude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:09 AM

    Jude, I will just have to say, "Oh, you lucky duck!" Thanks for the indepth mental vision of such a wonderful way to live.

    NC Mainlander who orders from VC (hint!) is envious, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete