Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sunset

Ocracoke is famous among residents and visitors for our outstanding sunsets. Tonight I was treated to a welcoming sight.

I have been off island again for a few days (I carried Lou Ann back to her mid-western town where right now the snow is blanketing the ground and turning it into a Norman Rockwell-like scene, and where it is about 35 degrees colder than here on the island!), and then I went to the NC mountains to visit my son and his family. I arrived back home on the 5 pm ferry this evening. Driving down the island I was struck by the magnificent sunset. The horizon was a rich magenta, and above it were layered all of the colors of the spectrum -- orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

The sand dunes were crowned with the past season's sea oats, and they and several hundred feet of wooden sand fence stood silhouetted against the darkening sky, along with cedars and pine trees on the sound side. For twenty minutes I drove south marveling at the fiery sky and the occasional glimpse of familiar ocean waves peeking through breaks in the dunes.

I only wished Lou Ann could have been with me to be welcomed home in such a spectacular way.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:35 AM

    My goodness your story about the oak trees on the island was fascinating. It made me think of martha Stewart, as she has a fascination of sorts with trees her company uses tree names for something or other I can't remember. I bet if you e-mailed that story she would like it I will also post something on her blog so that it will be called to her attention.

    Also Why is there not a craftsman that makes a decent rolling pin a tapered dowel of sorts a simple french style rolling pin that would serve a function and be a souvenir and a home defense item it could be wood burned with the date as a reminder of the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not right to post about a sunset with no picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was driving. Didn't have a camera. But it was a beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:12 AM

    Which live web cam feed (available on the web)--- would you recommend to watch a sun set unfold? Even though you are there on Ocracoke island have you considered watching a sun set via the internet to offer any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but I have no insights about web cams. I've never even thought about watching a sunset on the computer.

    ReplyDelete