Thursday, January 22, 2009

Steel Trawler

Thirty years ago it was commonplace, especially in the colder months, to see a dozen or more trawlers, both wooden and steel, docked in Silver Lake Harbor. Nowadays it is much less common. Some time ago, however, I had an opportunity to speak with a member of the crew of a large steel trawler. They had just arrived with a boatload of green tail shrimp, and they were offering them for sale at $3.00/pound. I climbed on board to see some of the prettiest, large shrimp I had ever seen. I pulled out my money, and he weighed out the shrimp. Into a plastic bag they went.

Back home I popped the heads off (my hands were aching from the cold by the time I was finished), and packed them in heavy plastic bags. Most went into the freezer, but I left a small bag out for the next day. If you've never tasted shrimp fresh from Pamlico Sound (if all you've ever known is pre-packaged shrimp from Thailand), and you finally have an opportunity to feast on the real thing you'll never want to eat imported shrimp again. I guarantee it!

PS: I understand that there will be no picking and jamming and the Community Store this Friday night, but that it will continue again "soon." Look for notices in the store.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment