Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

I watched today's historic inauguration with David and Lachlan (Amy is off-island). I was reminded of how emotionally moving it is to live in such an extraordinary country. In spite of all of our differences and a sometimes inglorious past, the foundations of our society and our government are remarkably sound. Our constitution, which President Obama and Vice President Biden pledged to preserve, protect, and defend, is the bedrock of our democracy. No US president is ever asked to give allegiance to any other document, ideology, or entity.

The peaceful and civil transfer of power that we witness at every inauguration is truly to be celebrated. Every glimpse of our flag flying in the breeze, and every strain of one of our patriotic songs brought tears to my eyes. I am proud to be an American!

On a very local note -- another remarkable event is unfolding outside my window. The trees, fences, and tombstones are wearing a soft mantle of snow, and it is still coming down, swirling off the roofs and branches. I must go outside to witness this rare event before daylight is gone! As you might imagine, Howard Street is beautiful beyond description during a snow storm.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter celebrates the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    "beautiful beyond description" yet you describe it so eloquently, i just have to close my eyes and see lovely Howard Street and its environs...if you have any pictures, it would be great to see 1 or 2 uploaded! up here in williamsburg, we received about 12 flakes! enjoy for us!
    jackandceleste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:29 PM

    Today proves again that this absolutely is a great country. Not only am I proud to be an American, I am also proud that I was able to serve in the Air Force. Hearing the "Star Spangled Banner" always gives me goose-bumps!

    Friday night music at the Community Store and now...snow. How many more reasons for a winter trip to Ocracoke!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:33 PM

    Did you take any photos of the snow to post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:42 AM

    I am thrilled for you it is snowing...I know how much you are missing it! Shoveling? la

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:38 AM

    sitting here with 2 feet of the white stuff surrounding me, i admit to being a bit sick of it already, however, i would LOVE to see the pictures of Howard Street in the snow. It would beat anything around here.

    ReplyDelete