Thursday, April 30, 2009

Twitter...

...That's what the birds have been doing so prominently every morning. The weather has been so perfect that I've been sleeping with my bedroom windows wide open, and I can hear the birds start chirping about 4 o'clock in the morning. In addition to the chirping and twittering* there is the low moaning sound of the mourning doves.

I've been taking advantage of the 72 degree temperatures and sunny skies to cut and trim my grass, plant a fig tree, grade Howard Street, fix and maintain my generator and weed trimmer, oil up my bikes...anything to be outside and soak up springtime. I think most islanders are feeling the same way.

*I wonder how many readers looked at today's title and assumed the blog was about social networking?

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a history of paved roads on Ocracoke. It may not sound very exciting, but there have been dramatic changes on the island because of the construction of paved roads a half century ago. You can read the newsletter, and see some rare photos here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Did you there is an item callled a Birdcam

    I bet if you let them know you are interested-- that is what that Martha Stewart has done and I betcha they gave her the birdcam to promote on her site-- she has posted oh so pretty pictures of the birds which visit her bird feeder

    the pictures on her blog -- the birds ar sooo colorful and the detail fantastic ---I be it would simplify the bird count on that island --- install a bird feeder and bird cam and tramsmit photos --- what an excuse to visit the Plymouth island to change a battery or dust off the solar panels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 AM

    April Showers


    April showers bring May flowers but what about the birds

    They come on wing with a song to sing that makes my heart fly

    On the ground amongst the daffodills bird song and floral perfume in the air


    If you care to wait and learn to appreciate the simple gifts of life

    your days on the planet don't take them for granted cause you don't know what you've got till it's gone
    Don't pave a paridise and put in a parking glot.

    ReplyDelete