Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dinner with Friends

Winter is, of course, the time of year when we islanders have more opportunities to spend time with family and friends. Days are short, and there's not much going on after dark -- not many concerts or wine tastings, or music on the docks. On Monday night I invited a few friends over for a simple supper of soup and bread. Luckily for all of us, everyone brought extra offerings. By the time we sat down at the table there was the curried apple soup (see "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest," page 25) homemade bread, artichoke dip, salad greens, red wine, homemade cookies, and a cranberry/apple/raisin dessert. To top it all off the after dinner conversation was enlightening, stimulating, and great fun.

Tuesday I was invited to join three other friends' for another tasty dinner and more delightful conversation. And yesterday I had one more opportunity to spend an evening with still other long-time friends, with more delicious food. In the meanwhile I've been enjoying the curried apple soup for lunches.

Ocracoke has a number of fine restaurants, and at least two are open this winter, but for those of us who live here the off-season can be a feast of culinary delights as we share meals with neighbors and friends.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter discusses place names on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news113009.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Thai Moon is one of our favorites. What a gem to have on Ocracoke! We still talk about the "Soft Shell Crab Kapow" we had on our last trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Philip,
    Thank you for your blogs! I look forward to reading them often. I was curious about what types of internet service are available on Ocracoke. Is high speed available on such a remote island?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, we have high speed internet. I've never had internet at home, so I bought a new laptop (with wireless-N), and a new, more powerful router. However, I'm having trouble getting a signal at my house which is about 200 feet from my business where the router is located. I'm sure I'll figure out something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philip, you might check out a signal booster. Ask Marcy about it - she got one so that her wireless network would reach the house next door when they started renting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kate. I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete