Saturday, January 30, 2010

Shipwreck

Walking along the beach a couple of days ago I noticed that the bones of a long ago wrecked ship were more exposed than I'd seen them in quite a while. Some years ago the National Park Service documented the known wreckage on Ocracoke Island, and if I remember correctly, were unable to identify any of the several vessels.

The remains of this ship lie north of the Pony Pen, very near to where the steamboat "Home" met her doom in October of 1837. The Home was one of the most dramatic wrecks because it ran ashore far from the village before a Life Saving Station was established on the island...and because ninety people lost their lives when the ship broke apart.

So, without any certain evidence, I nevertheless imagine that these timbers are the remnants of the Home. In any event, they are still a dramatic reminder of the perils of travels by sea along the North Carolina coast.



(Click on photo, by Jim Fineman, to view a larger image.)

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter tells the story of Ocracoker, Kelly O'Neal, and the 1951 revolution in Siam (Thailand). You can read it here:
http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012910.htm.

9 comments:

  1. Well, it's a good thing that you had Jim Fineman along with you or we'd still be waiting for a photo.

    Nice work, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Leonard9:24 AM

    Philip,
    Looking at this picture of you, you look very familiar. I think maybe you helped serve communion at the Methodist Church when my daughter Sarah and I were there last summer; it was the Sunday after the 4th of July.

    We were camping at the NP campground and we enjoyed visiting the church both Sundays while we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael -- I've enlisted several friends to share their photos with me...so look for more in upcoming posts!

    Debbie -- No, that was not me. I am diastematic (see http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/diastematic) so you'll probably know me for sure if we should meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie Leonard11:54 AM

    Well, that's why I thought it was you; I thought I remembered that. I guess that there is someone who resembles you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:18 PM

    so is eddie murphy and David Letterman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:09 AM

    and Michael Strahan

    ReplyDelete
  7. and Howard B? That's who usually assists Joyce with serving communion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:21 PM

    The past two summers I saw the remains of a shipwreck north of the poney pens and a left turn off the ramp to the beach. Thought this might be the Nomis 1935 or George W. Wells 1913 or the Home 1837. Saw the steel spikes sticking out of the sand and some wood. Looks like alot more has been exposed. Will check it out again this summer.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:51 PM

    Hi, we are thrilled to know that the GWW is still around. Have any remnants washed up lately?

    KWells

    ReplyDelete