Monday, June 03, 2013

Homer Howard & Philip Howard

Not long ago I discovered a box of old photos. The writing on the back of this one confirmed my suspicions: "Grandpop Homer Howard" it read.


















I carried the photo to Blanche, thinking she may never have seen it. Immediately she said, "That's your grand-papa. I took that picture...right out in front of that tree where you have your signs."

Blanche then continued to inform me that the photo was taken with her brand new Brownie camera which she had purchased for $2 in 1942. 

I asked Amy to take a photo of me standing in basically the same place. The tree is a little larger, of course, and my signs are attached, but other than that, Howard Street doesn't look much different.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a tribute to a wonderful man who did much for Ocracoke Island, Marvin Wyche Howard (1897-1969). You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052113.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Nice post. Glad not much has changed on Howard street, and hope it doesn't. Thanks for reminder. Glad just the tree has gotten bigger. Wish I had known Homer. All the Howards are so Dapper. Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    Did Blanche process her own film and print her own images? I wonder if she has the Brownie camera somewhere in her house. Who is the best dress resident on OI these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Blanche did not process her own film. I guess she mailed it away. I didn't ask her about her camera, but I would be surprised if she doesn't still have it somewhere.

      The best dressed resident?? I don't know. I just know it's not me.

      Delete
  3. Juanita5:57 PM

    Philip,
    I have never seen this picture. When we come down there in October will you show me the pictures? I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita, I would love to show you the photos. I even organized most of them...and digitized some. Look for another vintage photo in tomorrow's blog.

      Delete