Friday, June 21, 2013

Parade

The Fourth of July Parade has been a staple of Ocracoke Independence Day Celebrations for many years, first in the 1950s, then again for the last 25 - 30 years. Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a photo gallery of various floats from years past. You can see the pictures here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062113.htm.















 Unfortunately, I don't know the last year of the early parades, nor do I know what year they were revived. If any of our readers know, please leave a comment.
 
Also, I only have a limited number of photos. There were so very many other creative floats. Perhaps readers know of other photos that have been posted on Facebook or elsewhere on the Web. If so, please leave a comment.

Many thanks...and enjoy the photos.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    In 2010, nineteen people were crushed in a panic at the German Love parade festival. Far too often spectators or participants let their guard down during festivities and accidents happen. Be alert and have a safe and happy holiday. D.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Leonard10:03 AM

    I am so looking forward to the parade. The first time I ever came to Ocracoke was on a July 4th and I saw the parade. I knew then that this was a place I wanted to get to know better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:16 AM

    I, too, had the privilege of witnessing an Ocracoke July 4 parade many years ago--probably around the mid- to late-'90s. Will have to scout about and see if I can find any photos. It certainly was a one-of-a-kind event with a great, small-town feel that we were happy to have stumbled upon.

    And your photos are TERRIFIC, Philip--one more way that you help us all "explore" and get to know Ocracoke a little bit more every day. Was just discussing the merits of the island with a friend this morning at a coffee shop here in Pittsburgh, while wearing one of my many t-shirts from the Ocracoke Coffee Company--the staple of my day-to-day wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete