- Hyde County officials have declared a curfew for Ocracoke Island between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. each day until power is fully restored.
- Tideland EMC estimates restoration of power to mainland Hyde by this afternoon.
- Power restoration for Ocracoke Island is projected for Sunday night. Tideland EMC hopes to begin powering 1/3 of Ocracoke via generator power around 3:00 p.m. this afternoon. A rotation schedule will be coming out shortly.
Preliminary Post-Storm Assessment:
Hurricane Arthur has resulted in minor damage both on mainland Hyde and Ocracoke Island. Overall the county avoided severe impacts of the storm. Early morning field assessments across the county show downed trees, medium sized debris, and some roof damage. Much of mainland Hyde is now with power, the remaining should be restored by this afternoon. Arthur resulted in 40 downed electrical poles on Ocracoke. Tideland EMC estimates full restoration of power to the Island Sunday night. While there are no reports of road closures on the mainland, NC12 on the north end of Ocracoke does have some over wash. Access To and From Ocracoke Island:
Access to Ocracoke Island today Friday, July 4, 2014 will be strictly limited to emergency and infrastructure personnel. Beginning Saturday, July 5, 2014 residents and property owners will be granted re-entry if they can produce any of the following documents:
- Unexpired Ocracoke re-entry hangtag from Hyde County (any color)
- Expired Ocracoke re-entry hangtag or sticker from Hyde County (any
- North Carolina Drivers License with Ocracoke listed as residence
- Documentation with proof of owning property on Ocracoke (ie: tax record)
Repairs and Clean Up on Ocracoke: Residents and businesses owners on Ocracoke are asked to keep debris material on their property until waste management services are able to get on the Island and replenish dumpsters at the Ocracoke solid waste facility. Information about chipping services will be released as soon as possible.
Until power is fully restored please exercise water conservation as the Ocracoke water plant is operating on generator power. Tideland estimates 1/3rd of the village will have generator power around 3:00 p.m. today. A rotation schedule will be coming out shortly.
NPS Park Closures: On Ocracoke the NPS campground, NPS docks in Silver Lake, NPS visitors center and ORV office, NPS lifeguard operations, and off- road vehicle beach access will be closed until further notice. Park service staff is working to clear the beaches. More information available here.
Ocracoke Independence Day Celebration: The flag raising ceremony will take place at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 5th at Ocracoke School flag circle. The remaining Ocracoke Independence Day celebration activities have been cancelled. Please check ocracokecurrent.com for updates.
Next update from Hyde County Emergency Services is expected mid-afternoon Friday July 4, 2014. Sign up for email updates from Hyde County Public Information here.