Monday, October 08, 2007

Hello Folks!

It's so nice to be missed. Thanks for the concerns about us. If you read Dale's comment on the last post you already know that I have been off the island for more than two weeks, and that Jude has gone to visit her mother. But I have returned....just last night.

I spent a week in Indiana with Lou Ann. We had a wonderful time -- rode on a train with a 100+ year old steam locomotive, witnessed a Civil War re-enactment (even had the opportunity to don period costumes and join in the dances later that evening), visited friends, walked in the woods, and generally enjoyed ourselves.

From there I traveled to East Tennessee for my annual hike to the top of Mt. LeConte (over 6500 feet elevation). It is an eight mile trek to the top, and quite a treat to be out in the woods and into the rarefied air. Two friends even startled a large black bear early in the morning, just beyond our quarters.

From LeConte I hopped over to Weaverville, NC to visit with my son and his family. I see those three grandchildren only a few times each year, so it is always a treat. Then it was back to Tennessee for the National Storytelling Festival. Lou Ann joined me again, and we listened to some of the best tellers in the nation (including, of course, our own Donald Davis).

Back home I discovered tall disorderly and unkempt grasses assaulting my front yard, stacks of unwelcomed bills, and more than a hundred emails awaiting me.

Thank you all for your comments about Ocracoke and change. I'd like to share more thoughts on several of the posts, but that will have to wait for another day. Until then, enjoy the rest of the day.

Our latest monthly newsletter is Lou Ann's story of commercial clamming with 13 year old Morty. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, Philip! Sounds like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete