Sunday, November 16, 2008

Movies

Finally, the rains have stopped! But it is taking a while for the puddles to dry up. A cold front came through last night and pushed the rain out. Today is bright and sunny with much cooler temperatures (only in the 50s...yesterday was cloudy but t-shirt and bare feet weather).

Last night I watched with a group of friends, the documentary, Home of the Brave, the story of Viola Liuzzo, a white civil rights activist who was killed in Alabama by the KKK in 1965. It was a moving film that touched us all.

Speaking of movies, I don't watch as many as most folks, but every now and then I come across one I really enjoy. This afternoon I will be watching one of my favorites again with friends. It is called Wristcutters, A Love Story, and if you can get over the title, you might discover that this quirky independent film has a lot to offer. (My other favorite off-beat movie is Box of Moonlight.)

Our latest "newsletter" is a link to my new web site, Black Squall Books, with information about my forthcoming book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, and Stories from Ocracoke Island, which is expected to be available by mid-November. Click HERE to go directly to the web site to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:58 PM

    I wouldn't have pegged you for a Wristcutters fan :). It was definately a different way to look at purgatory/the afterlife.

    If indie fare is of interest to you, might I suggest, if you have not already done so, "Be Kind, Rewind" because it focuses in on a theme that I see a lot in your blog about Ocracoke - how the past is great/fascinating, but, though we may not want to see things change, change happens. It's a very sweet film.

    ReplyDelete