Friday, February 06, 2015

Tooth Redux

Soon after I published yesterday's post about the fossilized tooth, my neighbor Celia (who is now working on an archaeological site in Texas) said she thought it was a bison tooth. Late last night she sent me this photo and a brief comment.


















"I shared the tooth picture on Facebook and a paleontologist friend and an archaeologist responded--they both think it's bison."

Tooth Found on Ocracoke















I agree. And I think that is even more interesting -- a fossilized bison tooth uncovered on Ocracoke Island! I wonder how old it is.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is about the almost forgotten 1890 "Oyster Wars" that pitted islanders against outside business interests. You can read the article here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012115.htm

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:12 AM

    Maybe this proves that there has been bull on Ocracoke for a long time!

    ReplyDelete