Friday, May 22, 2015

Firemen's Ball

The tenth annual Ocracoke Firemen’s Ball will be held tomorrow, Saturday, May 23, at the Ocracoke Community Center.



















The event (the major fund raiser for the fire department) begins at 5 p.m. with a pig pickin’ followed by a silent and a live auction. The evening ends with live music by The Ocracoke Rockers, The Aaron Caswell Band, and The Dune Dogs.

Bidding for Great Items & to Support OVFD
















This is the schedule of events:

5:00 – 6:30 Barbeque dinners @ $12.00 each
5:00 – 6:30 Silent auction (also, Firemen’s Ball t-shirts for sale)
7:00 Live Auction
8:30 -Midnight Music and Dancing

More information here and here

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is Part II of Crystal Canterbury's account of her first visit to Portsmouth Island. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052115.htm.

7 comments:

  1. After reading the newsletter, I was curious as to why FDR visited PI in 1915.
    I found that 1915 was when the Life Saving Service merged with the US Revenue Cutter Service, thus becoming the US Coast Guard.
    You said your grandfather was a surfman on Portsmouth then, so he may have met the assistant secretary of the navy and future president.
    Did any kin ever mention Homer Howard meeting Roosevelt?
    Another coincidence...
    Josephus Daniels (a former OI resident you have written about) was secretary of the navy and FDR's superior at the time.
    He went on to support his election and was appointed ambassador to Mexico.
    Yet another connection...
    Simon Garrish also served as a surfman then.
    He was kin to me through my great grandfather, Alexander a descendant of
    Henry Garrish and Elizabeth Howard.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Wasn't Simon your great uncle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember anyone in my family ever mentioning that my grandfather (Homer Howard) met FDR. Maybe he did and no one thought it important enough to talk about (Ocracokers were generally not very impressed with power & prestige...just with personal relationships), or maybe not.

      I don't think Simon Garrish was my great uncle, but we are surely related some way (undoubtedly a distant cousin) that I don't rightly understand.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I may have confused him with the Simon Garrish who married Sarah Emmaline Howard.
      What was her relationship to you?
      This is so complex!

      Delete
    3. Sarah Emeline Howard was my father's 3rd cousin. That would make her my 3rd cousin, once removed.

      Delete
    4. Really appreciate your replies, Philip.
      I assume I had the right Simon, but I could most likely become fluent in Greek before I could figure out how you and I are related.
      And I even misspelled your cousin's middle name.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:08 PM

    do you know how many BBQ dinners would be sold or how big this event could be if it were held on Memorial Day! Total fun for all visiting Ocracoke and I am sure the food would sell out!...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food sold out. The Community Center was packed (SRI) for the auction. I didn't stay for the dance (my back was aching), but people were pouring in as I was leaving. No need to change the date!

      Delete