Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"Shipwreck"

Just a couple of days ago I was told about a small boat that washed up on Ocracoke's beach. Of course I wanted to see for myself.















The fiberglass boat was quite a derelict. It certainly looked like it had been adrift for a while. The motor was long gone, the paint was peeling, the hull was cracked & broken, and small mollusks were growing all over the bottom. I suppose it was pushed onto Ocracoke's beach by the wind and waves generated by tropical depression Ana.

I wonder who will remove it.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an article by island resident, Crystal Canterbury, about her very first visit to Portsmouth Village, on the last day of 2014. You can read Part I here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042115.htm

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 AM

    If you merely snapped one image of this boat, which is a great subject- or you captured many-- this is a wonderfully composed image. It is the perfect balance of shadow waves sky beach it is a knockout. The haunting beauty of trash. PS there is a photographer out there whose subject matter is abandoned buildings, amusement parks ,warehouses etc. PH eleven more incredible images and you have a calendar and a fund raiser / souvenir for your group to sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. However, I wish I knew what I was doing!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:17 AM

    Yes modern cameras are almost flawless in their technology...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could it have been part of an attempt to flee Cuba?
    Not a long journey, but I'm going to Ocracoke for the weekend.
    Phillip, I will look you up. By the way, nice shot.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, if you can't find me, please go into the Village Craftsmen and explain to them that I am looking for you. Ask them to give you my phone number.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:49 PM

    Must it be removed? It is beautiful as a part of the seascape. I love seeing the treasures brought up on Ocracoke's beaches. Thank you for continuing to share with us landlocked folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just this afternoon (5/12/15) in the village, I passed the boat on a trailer being pulled by a government truck.

      Delete