Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Uncle Homer

In the late 1930s island native, Stanley Wahab, built the first modern hotel on Ocracoke.

The Wahab Village Hotel (now renamed Blackbeard's Lodge) included a movie theater and roller skating rink as well as guest rooms with indoor plumbing. You can read more about the hotel here.

Ever the promoter, Stanley hosted gala events, especially on July 4th, to complement the annual Pony Penning. One function that drew enthusiastic crowds was a greased pig contest. Pictured below is one year's contest winner, my Uncle Homer, holding his pig.

Photo courtesy Chip Stevens



















Homer was quite a colorful character. You can read more about him here.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is an article about one of the early July 4th Parades written by Alice Rondthaler in 1953. It is accompanied by vintage photos.You can read the Newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062116.htm.  

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Philip,
    Thanks for sharing all those treasured memories.
    While following the links, I happened to find your recent MY OCRACOKE article. I know your readers would enjoy it as much as I did.
    How about sharing the link. Unless of course
    you're saving it for a future newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I am not surprised that my article was posted on-line, but I hadn't searched for it. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I will use it for a future newsletter.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:17 PM

      Sounds good!
      Appreciate the
      Respondez S'iI Vous Plait. {DC}

      Delete
  2. Philip,
    Are you sure that is a picture of Uncle Homer? It doesn't look like him. Were did the picture come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita, that may not be Uncle Homer. I wondered about that myself, but I don't remember him as well as you do. I even looked at several other photos to see if there was a resemblance. So, in the end, I accepted the word of the photo's owner. The picture is hanging in the downstairs of Blackbeard's Lodge (The Wahab Village Hotel). The Lodge is owned by Stanley Wahab's nephew.

      Delete
    2. I even went and looked at the pictures that I have of Uncle Homer and the last time that I saw him was at Ocracoke the summer of 1961.To me it doesn't look like him. Maybe when I
      come down there again I'll go over there and look at the picture.

      Delete