Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Amy Howard

Welcome Amy Howard!!

Beginning January 1, Amy Howard assumes the position of Village Craftsmen’s new manager. As many of our readers already know, Jude Brown, our current manager, is retiring at the end of the year, and will be moving to Maryland.

Amy Howard



















Amy is a native of Ocracoke Island, and is the daughter of Julie Howard and Philip Howard (owner of Village Craftsmen). Amy graduated from Ocracoke School and Appalachian State University. She has lived in Berlin, Germany, Maryland, Colorado, and California. Two decades ago she returned to settle in her island hometown. Amy is married to David Tweedie (“Fiddler Dave” of the Molasses Creek band), and they have one son, Lachlan.

Amy comes to us from the Ocracoke Preservation Society, where she has served as their museum manager for the last four years. Amy has a wealth of knowledge about Ocracoke history & culture and about her own island ancestry which she traces to William Howard, colonial owner of Ocracoke Island.

Amy is committed to continuing Village Craftsmen’s 46-year tradition of offering fine quality American handcrafts to island residents and visitors. Your favorite artists and craftsmen will be represented, as usual, but also look for some exciting new craft items in the coming year. Be sure to visit our Facebook Page and this blog regularly to keep up-to-date with island culture, history, & stories…and to learn about new items, events, and promotions Amy will be working on during the coming year.

Amy is creative, knowledgeable, dedicated, and committed to bringing her many talents to Village Craftsmen. We are looking forward to an exciting new year!

Although we will be closed from January until mid-March, 2017, be sure to stroll down Howard Street during your next on-season visit to the island, and stop in Village Craftsmen to enjoy our large selection of quality American crafts and to congratulate Amy on her new position. We always look forward to seeing you!

Our current Ocracoke Newsletter is a 1938 article about Capt. Gary Bragg, waterfowl hunting, and wooden decoy carving. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112116.htm.

26 comments:

  1. All the best to Amy and Jude.
    And how abou you, Philip, will you be fully retired.
    Will the blog change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may never be fully retired, and, no, the blog will not change. I thoroughly enjoy sharing island history and stories with our readers. You may even see me more often in the Village Craftsmen.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:47 AM

      Phew!
      Good to know. ��
      DC

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Philip, this has nothing to do with what you are talking about right now. Duck hunting. We were talking here about duck hunting. None of us have ever eaten duck? I don't recall seeing it on any outerbanks menu except in a Asian eatery. Have you eaten duck? We live in Greensboro and have never seen it in grocery stores or anywhere we normally eat..are we that innocent or hidden? Are we missing anything? I hear it suppose to be pretty fatty. I told you this had nothing to do with your present subject, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose duck is not a common restaurant menu item, but it is available in certain places. Yes, I have eaten duck, and it is very tasty (one of the best meals I can remember was at a cousin's home in Hungary; the duck was freshly killed). I am not a hunter (although my father was, and we occasionally had duck when I was a child), so I don't eat duck often, but I definitely like it.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:28 AM

    Thank you for answering that 'detour question'..Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Best wishes to Amy in her new role. My wife and I had the privilege of chatting with her at the OPS several years ago, and she was quite personable, welcoming, and thoughtful in sharing insights about the island. We wish her all the best in her new role. It's nice that her daily "commute" will be reduced about a hundredfold. And I suspect this news harbors good things for the Village Craftsmen as well. We look forward to our next visit, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... I'm doing a little catching up... CONGRATULATIONS AMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy Desulis11:19 AM

    Philip I think you could have wished Jude and Frank all the best in their new endeavors and compliment Jude on all the wonderful work she did at Village Craftsmen! Best to Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, Did you not see this post?: https://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2016/12/jude-brown.html
      I wrote, "Jude has been a dedicated and resourceful manager, ensuring that Village Craftsmen continues its long-standing mission of representing the best local, regional, and national craftspeople who provide our gallery with excellent American handcrafts, including pottery, glass, wood, and metal items of the finest quality.

      We will miss Jude as she and Frank set off for new adventures."

      Delete
  7. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Im in love with your son, Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:11 PM

      *madly

      Delete
    2. goblin1:23 PM

      If his true love you wish to be, first you must answer my riddles three!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:24 PM

      I'll do it mr. goblin! I'll do whatever it takes!

      Delete
    4. golbin1:24 PM

      MRS. goblin

      Delete
    5. Anonymous1:27 PM

      i am so sorry ma'am. I have made a grave and disgusting mistake and I shall take the time I would have spent dating Lachlan considering my actions and reconsidering my incorrect patriarchal perspective. I will be better, Mrs. Goblin, I sincerely apologize.

      Delete
    6. Goblin1:28 PM

      RIDDLE NUMBER 1: THE MORE THERE IS, THE LESS YOU SEE! WHAT AM I?!

      Delete
    7. Anonymous1:29 PM

      The fog! its the fog!!!

      Delete
    8. Goblin (in parenthesis) angry1:30 PM

      WRONG! get ready for the meat grinder

      Delete
    9. Anonymous1:30 PM

      No goblin please! Anything but the meat grinder!

      Delete
    10. Meat Grinder1:31 PM

      hi :)

      Delete
    11. Anonymous1:32 PM

      GREAT SCOTT!!!!

      Delete
    12. Meat Grinder1:34 PM

      *grinding sounds*

      Delete
    13. Eddie Murphy1:39 PM

      hey hey hey

      Delete
  8. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I love your son (Lachlan), but not as much I love Duck Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:17 PM

    chimp

    ReplyDelete