Monday, June 27, 2011

Squirrels

Lou Ann enjoys sitting on the front porch early in the morning with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I join her, even though I don't drink coffee. Yesterday morning a small squirrel entertained us for about fifteen minutes. He had climbed the pine tree across the lane, and was scampering from limb to limb, often hanging from his hind legs eating something among the pine needles (sap??).

Janet, who is visiting next door, stopped by for a visit. In the course of our conversation she mentioned that she and her husband practice daily meditation. Lou Ann and I don't do any formal meditation, but it is not unusual for us to take time during a day to enjoy the simple pleasures of island life. I believe that might qualify as meditation. At any rate, it's good for the "soul."

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is an island ghost story, "Ode of Mrs. Godfrey," by guest columnist Tom McDonand. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062111.htm.

5 comments:

  1. For sure, enjoying the simple pleasures in life wherever we are is good for the soul.

    Carmela Kemp
    Durham, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a fascinating Buddhist monk who's convinced me of the value of meditation. But his description of the benefits of meditation sounds a lot like Ocracoma. It's hard to get motivated to put in all the work when on Ocracoke you can get it, or something pretty close, for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the closest to God when I am sitting on the sand at Ocracoke. All my worries and troubles are postponed for awhile. Just sitting looking out into the water and watching the waves. I do enjoy watching the nature and its little critters. we can look out of our window at anytime and see anywhere from 1 - 14 squirrels running around in our yard. God is still working and he gives us little special times to be reminded of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:27 PM

    I always love stopping at the North End (ferry docks) to clamber around the dunes to find tiny shells: whelks, spindle, etc. It's magical to find such small versions of "big fancy shells."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha Wiley8:34 PM

    I was saying to my husband just yesterday as we were preparing to leave the island and go back to our regular lives, that sitting on the beach at Ocracoke and watching the ocean and the birds was my own form of meditation. I miss it already.

    ReplyDelete