Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Drawings

Not long ago I took out my ink pens, my watercolor paints, and a pad of watercolor paper. I've been enjoying making small drawings of Ocracoke and other Outer Banks scenes. Then I got a notion to offer them for sale. Since I've been semi-retired at the Village Craftsmen I don't have as many opportunities to interact with visitors...and I sometimes miss that. So I have set up a wooden table on Lawton Lane, with some of my drawings displayed there.

Here is a photo Lou Ann took of the display:



And here is a closeup of a lighthouse scene:



The top of the lighthouse:



A trawler:



And the beach:



Click on any photo to view a larger image.

All drawings/paintings are matted and framed (5" X 7" black metal frame), and signed. They are ready to display, and sell for $20 each. If I am not at the table you can ring the bell to get my attention...or just drop your money in the slotted box if I have wandered away for a while (in that case I won't get the pleasure of chatting with you, but I will be able to afford fuel for my boat!).

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a modern day ghost tale, "Ode to Mrs. Godfrey," by guest columnist Tom McDonald. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062111.htm.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:31 AM

    Well, Philip, does that table stretch 225 miles inland? :) I can't quite.....reach......it! I knew the minute I started reading about you are drawing again that I would want some of your pictures.

    Can Jude and staff accomodate an order through VC or does one have to be there in person?

    Your method of payment reminds me of my uncle in rural central VA who sells lots of blueberries and blackberries. He is also "retired", so he has a cash box set up, next to the scales and a simple sign. Folks come as far as Richmond to pick and buy the fresh fruit. Sometimes, my uncle and wife are not home, so folks have to pick the berries, weigh the berries, buy the berries, pay for the berries and make their own change. It's all on an honor system. It's worked fine for several years! Isn't it refreshing to hear such wonderful stories?!!!

    Keep on drawing, Philip! Seriously, can one purchase any of the pictures through VC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:02 AM

    Mornin'! You posted early. Well they do say " the early bird gets the worm". Around here we say "the early bird gets his own breakfast".

    ReplyDelete
  3. bill kostar7:24 AM

    Please put aside the "Top of the Lighhouse" drawing. We'll be arriving July 30 and I'd like to pick it up sometime that week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Is there anything you can't do!! The drawings are beautiful! I hope you decide to do mail orders because I'd love to have a couple and won't be back in Octacoke til November.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Philip, I'm in awe! The drawings are elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. debbie s.10:45 AM

    your talents never cease to amaze. the creativity and talent throughout the island are simple spectacular! Must be something in the water out that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:18 PM

    do you have pigeons because if you do they could get in the way of your outdoor drawings and ruin them. Plus if you have pigeons can you eat the pigeon eggs or is theer a law against eating pigeon eggs but they will multiplly. Also do you have a license to sell your art because you probably do and there will be a fine. the license will go towards your county government which will be good for the schools because you need money for the schools too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do not have pigeons on the island...but we do have dodo birds on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Ha-ha-ha...ha-ha-ha...ha-ha-- Thanks...I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I were coming to Ocracoke this summer so I could add to my collection of your artwork. I have several drawings I think I purchased in the late 80's. Enjoy them daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:15 AM

    I bought two of your drawings while visiting a few years ago. Love them...And think of Ocracoke every time that I look at them...

    ReplyDelete