Saturday, July 09, 2011

Answers to a Few Questions

A couple of days ago I listed most of the known pilots at Ocracoke Inlet. I can only guess that those listed for 1773 were the pilots who helped ship captains avoid the British blockade during the Revolutionary War so that supplies could be carried to General Washington at Valley Forge (see post for Thursday, June 30, 2011).

A reader also asked if I could get a photo of cousin Blanche when she was younger. She just smiled when I asked her for a picture, then changed the subject! Sorry.

Another reader asked if anyone on the island is a member of the DAR. Blanche couldn't think of anyone, nor could I, but we're not sure.

Re. DNA testing and the identity of the men buried in the British Cemetery: We only know the identity of Sub-Lt. Thomas Cunningham and Stanley Craig because Ocracoke native Wahab Howard had met Cunningham some days before in Norfolk, and Craig was wearing his name tag. There has never been any attempt to identify the other two sailors.

The best guess about the origin of Ocracoke's once wild ponies is that some were brought to the island by early landowners, and others swam ashore from shipwrecks. They are similar to Spanish mustangs.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a modern day ghost story, "Ode to Mrs. Godfrey," by guest columnist Tom McDonald. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062111.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:55 AM

    7 reasons I start my day with the OI Journal....There are seven days in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Philip, we are a curious-inquisitive-questioning-searching-scrutinizing bunch of bloggers, aren't we? And, you are always there to accurately (and patiently, I might add) answer our inquiries!

    In a word, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned so much about one of my favorite places through your blog. I look forward to reading it every day.

    ReplyDelete