From 1883 until 1937 Ocracoke was served by two Methodist Churches. The Methodist Episcopal Church (Ocracokers refer to this body as the "Northern Methodist Church") met on the Back Road (where Zillie's is located today). The Methodist Episcopal Church, South (the "Southern Methodist Church") met on East Howard Street.
It is sometimes difficult to imagine a beautiful wood frame church with stained glass windows on Howard Street (the church sat where "Dicie's Cottage" is today). This photo might help: